The profession of feline behaviour consultant is not governed by a professional order and is not supervised by the Quebec school system.
So at the moment, anyone can declare themselves a feline behaviour consultant after watching hundreds of cat videos on Youtube. This undermines the credibility of trained consultants who practice their profession rigorously.
Currently, the only way to become a “legitimate” consultant is to enroll in a recognized training course, based on science and data, taught by animal specialists such as experienced consultants, behavioural veterinarians or ethologists.
Our scientific rigor
One of the most critical aspects of the job of behavioural consultant is to question yourself regularly and to take training courses.
The field of animal behaviour is constantly evolving. For this reason, it is essential to be up to date on the latest research and discoveries.
Sometimes we have to rectify certain notions that we thought were unshakeable, logical notions justified by reputable professionals. Nevertheless, the new, scientifically supported theory has rendered some information obsolete.
Éduchateur has developed a continuing education program where each team member must complete a certain number of hours of training each year to keep their knowledge up to date.
So you have access to services at the cutting edge of scientific research.
- More than 30 consultants in Canada and Europe;
- First cat behavior consulting company to have a legal corporation on two continents;
- The biggest French Facebook page on cat behaviour;
- Courses certified by the Ordre des Médecins Vétérinaires du Québec and l’Association des Techniciens en Santé Animale du Québec.
- Recognized for its scientific rigor, to never venture into the veterinary domain and never talk about pathology or medication.
Our Training and Certifications
Cat Educator has between 50 and 100 hours of training each year since 2011.
- Member of the Pet Professional Guild;
- Certified Living and learning with animal certified;
- Promotes LIMA methods (Least Invasion, Minimal Aversive);
- CCAD certification for our Cat Educators in France (Certificat de Capacité pour les personnes exerçant des activités liées au Animaux de compagnies d’espèce Domestique;
- Feline Foraging Toys: How to Implement, Motivate, and Stage the Difficulty Level – Ingrid Johnson Live Webinar;
- Undergraduate level class in applied ethology (12 weeks) – Marine Cassoret;
- Living and Learning with animals (8 weeks) – Susan Friedman;
- Tout sur la psychologie du chat (Everything on cat psychology) – Joël Dehasse;
- Consultation mecanic (private courses) – Joël Dehasse;
- Behavioral problem management with cats – Joël Dehasse;
- Cats in all their emotional states – Joël Dehasse;
- Cat Behavior in Society – Cat Communication – Karen Overall;
- La mécanique de consultation – Joël Dehasse;
- Cat Behavior – Jacqueline Munera (Florida, US);
- Cat Sense – John Bradshaw;
- Animal behavior of Dogs and Cats – Dre Sarah L. Bennett et Dre Diane Frank;
- Private courses on animal training – Jacinthe Bouchard;
- Private courses on wild big cats (lynx, tiger, lion) – Jacinthe Bouchard, Zoo Academy;
- Training mecanics – Jean Lessard;
- Clicker Training – Jean Lessard;
- Advanced training principals – Simonne Raffa;
- Preparing your clinic for more cat visits – Dre Liz O’Brien;
- Low Stress Handling, Restraint and Behavior Modification of Dogs & Cats – Sophia Yin;
- Private training in animal health clinic (continuous) – Dr. Annie Ross.
Our presence in the media
See the Conferences, Radio or TV Shows page for full details.
Our professional achievements
- Close to 300 on-site private consultations in feline behavior per year;
- Recommended by over 100 veterinarian clinics in Quebec;
- “Cat Friendly Hospital” course approved by l’Ordre des Médecins vétérinaires du Québec (OMVQ) et l’Association des techniciens en santé animale du Québec (ATSAQ);
- Co-director of the american Paw Project in Quebec;
- Financing activities with La Fondation BEA;
- Invited speaker at the Quebec Veterinarian Congress (2016);
- Teacher for the cat behavior portion at the Jacinthe Bouchard Behavioral School – Zoo Academy (Since 2014);
- Recommended by animal shelters including Montreal SPCA and Gatineau SPCA, which also benefit from our training services;
- Our help resources services have been retained by Mondou (since 2009), Intersand (since 2010) and Be One Breed (since 2015);
- We teach several courses in most Quebec colleges offering an Animal Health Technology Program;
- We have a platform on national television and in the greatest francophone animal magazine;
- Our clientele is international (Canada, United States, France, Belgium, South Africa, Carribean).
- Collaboration and fundraising activities for the Animal Welfare Foundation;
- Creating and funding a pan-Canadian program to raise awareness of alternatives to declawing;
- Resource and consulting services for the Mondou chain of pet stores (since 2009), Intersand (since 2010) and Be One Breed (since 2015).
Conferences and training programs:
- “Cat Friendly Hospital” course approved by l’Ordre des Médecins vétérinaires du Québec (OMVQ) given at the Quebec Veterinarian Congress;
- Courses tailored to students in Animal Health Technologies for CÉGEP of Saint-Hyacinthe, Sherbrooke, Saint-Félicien, Trois-Rivières and Lionel-Groulx;
- Guest speaker for the annual congress of the Association des technicien(ne)s en santé animale du Québec (ATSAQ) in 2009 and in 2014;
- Training programs tailored to Montreal and Gatineau SCPA employees;
- Training programs tailored to the employees of several animal-related firms (Mondou, Intersand, etc.);
- Specialized training progam tailored to veterinarian clinics on the alternatives to declawing;
- Over 15000 hours of private training dispensed to veterinary clinics, specialized firms and the public;
- Training program tailored to the Corporation des zoothérapeutes du Québec at the École internationale de zoothérapie (EIZ).
Training for professionals in the animal field:
- Training courses for student technicians in animal health at the colleges of Saint-Hyacinthe, Sherbrooke, Saint-Félicien, Trois-Rivières and Lionel-Groulx;
- Trainer for the feline behaviour portion at Formation Jacinthe Bouchard (since 2014);
- Specialized training for veterinary clinics on alternatives to declawing;
- Training for Montreal and Gatineau SPCA employees;
- Training for professionals from several corporations (Mondou, Intersand, etc.);
- Chatcademia Pro training offered to more than 50 veterinary clinics, various specialized companies and the public;
- Cat-Friendly Hospital Chatcademia Pro training accredited by the Order of Veterinary Physicians of Quebec and given to more than 60 clinics in Quebec and Ontario;
- College-level course for animal health technicians;
- Training accredited by the Association of Animal Health Technicians of Quebec.
- 24-hour training for the Animal Wellness Centre (France);
- Training for Bayer delegates on feline behaviour in veterinary clinics;
- Veterinary Assistant Training (MSD Project) “Introduction to Low-Stress Contention Methods for Cats.”;
- Chatcademia Pro Training at ESAV – Bonaparte Institute in France;
- ChatelierPro training;
- Clinicat training;
- Cattitude training for veterinarians;
- Training Label Cat Educator for veterinarians;
- Training for prevention of cat bites in schools;
- SPA training. and shelters on request.
- Training of several cats for animal therapy purposes;
- Over 1 700 hours of animal therapy dispensed at Fondation Gracia of Hôpital Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci and Val-des-Arbres retirement homes;
- 16h Training for l’École Franco-Canadienne de médiation animale (France);
- Training courses given at the Zootherapy International School (EIZ).
- Dr. Sébastien Kfoury, TV Animator and Owner of Centre vétérinaire Rive-Sud and Centre vétérinaire Laval;
- Dr. Joël Dehasse, Behaviorist Veterinary, Author and Conference Lecturer;
- Dr. Annie Ross, Veterinary, Journalist, Teacher at Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe;
- Dr. Enid Stiles, Behaviorist Veterinary;
- Dr. Serge Nadeau, Veterinary at Cégep de Lionel-Groulx;
- Dr. Marie-Josée Hamel, Veterinary and Teacher at Cégep de Saint-Hyacinthe;
- Dr. Hélène Morrissette, Veterinary and Teacher at Cégep de Saint-Félicien;
- Jean Lessard, Canine Behavior Professional and Columnist for the TV show Animo;
- Jacinthe Bouchard – Jacinthe Bouchard Behavioral school – Zoo Academy
- Dominique Rousseau, Marketing Coordinator at Mondou;
- Sherley Gough, General Director at Intersand;
- Audrey Lemarbre, Content Manager for Magazine Animal;
- Chantal Brousseau, Editor in Chief of Magazine Animal;
- Luc Rousseau, Producer at Zone 3.
The administrative team
- Daniel Filion – President, Co-Founder, Training Associate, Lecturer and Senior Cat Educator
- Josine Villeneuve – Vice-president and Controller
- Éliane Cambell Richer – General manager,Cat Educator and Trainor
- Sandie Decortiat – Europe Division Director, Lecturer and Cat Educator
- Francis Rousseau –Training Director and Cat Educator
- Marianne Santos-Asselin – Director of the pet-sitting service “Entre pattes et mains”, Website manager and Cat Educator
- Audrey Morin – Design service director and Cat Educator
- Carolyne Bernier – Director of Continuing Education and Cat Educator
- Sophie Legrand – Assistant Director of the Europe Division, Trainor, Lecturer and Cat Educator
- Catherine Beauregard – Accounting manager and Cat Educator
- Jennie Boulet – Customer Service manager and Cat Educator
- Kym Lecault – Accounting manager for Europe division and Cat Educator